Instead of New Year’s resolutions…Give this a try!
We are one week into 2017 and most of us have already dropped a resolution (if we even made one!) Resolutions these days sort of get a bad reputation. We all laugh at how busy the gym gets after January 1st, or how eating healthy lasts for about four days and then we all go back to grande caramel coffee drinks and stuffed-crust pizza. And according to Forbes.com, only 8% of people will ACTUALLY FOLLOW THROUGH on a New Year’s resolution. So… things are not looking good. But, I recently heard an idea of how you can do resolutions differently. Maybe instead of making these far-reaching, difficult goals (that may be are based in things we just don’t like about ourselves), why not just make one little tweak and do things a little differently in life.
It can apply to so many things in life and be so applicable in different ways to different people. For women, like many of us, who are wives and moms who happen to also live an ever-changing lifestyle, solid, rigid goals may not fit realistically into our lives, but making one small change, or starting one small thing could actually work. Perhaps also, a shift in thinking about the small change helps, too. Instead of vowing to lose all that baby weight you still have hanging around, promise to give yourself that three times a week you will intentionally move. It doesn’t have to be the Insanity workout or a half marathon running plan, but maybe just time to go for a walk, stretch or swim. At the end of the year, there won’t be a grade on how much weight you lost, but you can reflect on how you feel better overall because of the change.
So, we brainstormed a few small changes that could potentially make a big difference in your 2017. Take a look and see what you might want to do for yourself:
- Read more (it doesn’t have to be a book a week, or even one a month, but maybe just that book that has been sitting on your nightstand for 4 months now!)
- Make a point to send a card or letter to a far-off friend every so often. Jot it down on random days in a calendar to remind yourself.
- Take time to journal. You could reflect about yourself, your kids or your adventures. It doesn’t really matter what it is about, but we guarantee it will be fun to look back on in the future.
- Find a way to have more pictures of your kids WITH you. Get out that selfie stick if you have to.
- Stop worrying so much about how your house looks (intentionally invite people over when your house is sort of messy even if it is super hard for you at first)
- Learn a new skill that you REALLY want to enjoy just for yourself.
- Get you (AND your family) outside more. We know it’s winter and it’s cold in a lot of places, but that’s what why coats are made.
- Spend less time on social media (You can define “less” however you want and this may mean taking apps off your phone, but this shouldn’t include our blog! Haha!)
- Try to be more social in a new place or with new people. This may mean getting involved with something new.
- Live more simply (buy less and live at a slower pace).
- Spend more time with your spouse. Intentionally decide on date nights and work to make them happen, even if they are just living room date nights.
- Get rid of stuff you don’t need. Because you don’t want to keep kicking yourself every time you have to move stuff you don’t want.
We want to hear what is one small thing you want to do differently this year! Let us know at email@example.com.